Thursday 19 January 2017

DEIFIED, SET BEFORE US and ENDLESS CURSE ALBUM REVIEWS

Here's another batch of Heavy Metal Reviews for you! This time round we got Endless Curse from Germany, Set Before Us from Sweden and Deified from the UK! Read on dear listener....

Endless Curse Album review: This is some old school crusty death metal from Germany. I have to confess I listened to the wrong album first (which I think was an earlier demo) and thought to myself "these guys would be pretty cool if only they had decent production" Thankfully by the time I figured out which was their new stuff I was supposed to listen to, the production had improved markedly! I still think this release could benefit from some pro mastering (I think the album was self recorded) but to my delight the musicianship has also improved a long way as at least one of the songs was on both releases and allows this reviewer to compare the progress the band has made. The music is old school death metal in the vein of early death and a million old school death bands (like baphomet, incantation, immolation etc...). Its hardly groundbreaking stuff, but overall a very enjoyable to listen to and great to see bands still doing this stuff ....
https://www.youtube.com/user/EndlessCurseTV



Set Before Us are another relatively new band hailing from Stockholm, Sweden... Their sound is a modern death / metalcore with influences like parkway drive / August burns red etc.... the band have been making quite a name for themselves touring Sweden, Germany and the surrounding regions.
While this is not my chosen alloy of metal, I have to admit the boys are good at what they do, the songs I've heard are well written played and recorded and more importantly very easy to listen to. Some really cool melodic guitar solos punctuate the dropped down riffage adding some great contrast to whats going on. Some clean vocals and occasional keyboard breaks also spice things up nicely.
Definately worth a listen if you're into metalcore but also if you're not into it this could be a great way to get aquainted with what the kids are listening to :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8g4I_FFuhU



Deified..... HOLY CRAP! U.K's Defied have certainly got an intense sound going on ... for my ears it sounds like a cross between death metal / thrash / and tech death... but it is a rather accomplished release. These guys do not piss around and a release like this can only come about through hard work and perseverence... well done guys! Some ultra tech 'angular' riffage (for lack of a better word) and drumming that can stop on a dime and start right back up again like nothing happened.
I like this vocalist too ... great projection and presence ... obviously I'm not the only one as it topped the OCZ reader polls a while back.. and more importantly scoring a slot on the BLOODSTOCK metal fest.
Over all this is a very classy act and I wish the guys all the best, the future is theirs! Don't take my word for it tho.... check the guys bandcamp page and hear for yourself!
https://deifieduk.bandcamp.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment